Popular Posts

Monday, April 4, 2011

Terrible TWO's!

Let me start with this.... I will be the first to brag on how smart, sweet, funny, awesome, handsome, adorable, amazing, silly, goofy, lovey, my son is. However, this blog isn't about that. This blog is about the times that he ISN'T all of those things. It doesn't happen often but it is happening more and more lately.

Who knew terrible two's were really THIS terrible!?

Oh yeah? All of the other mother's before me?! Well WHY didn't I listen?

Jonathan is in this phase (I hope its just a phase!) where he is telling me "no" "stop it!" and  "UGH!" on top of these new favorite phrases he is screaming at the top of his lungs. This was just at home but here lately he has started to do it in public as well. Last Friday he fell out in the middle of Bueno, crying and screaming because he wanted to leave with Heather and not me. Today he took off running across the McDonald's parking lot because he didn't want to leave. I had promised him the park but it was just too windy so we went inside to the play area. He was good and played awhile but when it was time to leave all was fine til we got to the car. Honestly I want to spank his butt right there in front of God and everybody but HONESTLY? I ain't tryna get my kid taken away. So I waited til we got home, after he threw another fit of screaming, (I swear he could make a fortune in a horror movie) kicking, and slapping at me. Now I have done time out. I have done the sit him down and talk to him. None of it is working. So tonight I spanked his little butt! (diaper on of course) after a couple swats he got quiet and was good for the rest of the night... that is until we went to Brad and Heather's and he started up again when it was time to leave.

I am really torn. I don't want to just let him get away with acting a fool but I don't want to beat him as well. So for those times that he makes me so mad I could scream myself I place myself in a time out until I can calm down enough to talk to him, spank him, or whatever. Anyhow for all of those mothers out there that I should have been listening to... how did you or do you handle the terrible two tantrums? I swear dealing with a kid that is your own is soooo much different. I used to be able to deal with a room full of tantrum throwing toddlers when I was at the shelter. Now my patience is fried and it isn't as easy as it once seemed!

1 comment:

  1. I personally believe that spanking is perfectly fine as long as it is used in an appropriate manner. Bryce has always been a handful and I remember well those terrible two tantrums. We use a combonation of time out and spanking.
    We always try time out first and go to spankings if time out does not do the trick. When Bryce was J's age he did all the same stuff you talk about. When he would throw himself down in the store, I'd just turn around and start walking off. The fear of being left had him right behind me immediately....lol. Whenever he would run into/toward the street or parking lot he was spanked immediately for all to see. I didn't care if anyone saw me or not because that is very dangerous and he could be killed doing something like that. Whenever he would talk back (and he still does) he was sent to time out. During the two's and three's it honestly seems that no matter what you do, your kid still acts crazy, has no manners and is the worst behaved child that ever lived, but trust me it does make a difference! Bryce is now four and I rarely have to spank him because he knows if he doesn't do his timeout what will happen instead. He behaves well in public, at restaurants, in the store, pretty much everywhere unless he happens to be tired and then he might be a little crabby. Be diligent and consistent in whatever you do and it will pay off down the road!

    ReplyDelete